Saturday, February 2, 2008

Prague is My Favorite City Too

I briefly mentioned Prague in an earlier post and was thrilled to see another visitor mentioned that Prague was his/her favorite city! That inspired me to share my views on the city for those of you who have visited (Gribnerites, etc) and those of you still brave enough to go (with the exhange rate as lousy as it is right now).

In a nutshell, what I loved most about Prague was the architecture. Buildings hundreds of years old, Prague Castle with its turrets and walls and hundreds of windows, churches like St. Vitius with stained glass windows and stone pillars and Petrin Hill where you can see the Vltava River and the bridges that arch over it and the pale green minarets and red tile roof tops of every building in the city. Beyond that, I loved all the parks with the green trees (what they call trees in Tucson in my opinion are not really trees) and the way that in that city where every building is a true work of art, creating art, in whatever form, felt like a wonderful pursuit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also believe that Prague is a beautiful city. Clearly the artistic beauty was not lost when the old City of Prague was rebuilt in the early 1990's.

Sabrina Devonshire said...

I wasn't aware that any parts of Old Town (or any of the historic districts )had been rebuilt. I suppose since most of them are so old, some of them may have undergone some restoration. Is that what you meant? I never learned as much about the history of different buildings as I would have liked to. But if you know more, fill me in. Otherwise, I'll just have to glean all those facts the next time I go there.

By the way, one place not to go in Prague is the Charles Bridge - unless you happen to be up and about at 5 a.m. your first morning there when you're not used to the time change - any other time and there are a million people up there (some of them pick pockets).